2 Tbsp. - Olive oil
10 each (about 1 pound) - Jumbo sea scallops (sized at under 10 per pound)
¼ cup - Island Chimichurri Sauce (see recipe below)
2 Tbsp. of each - Red, yellow and green bell pepper, 1/8" dice (confetti)
Fresh scallion-garlic-thyme angel hair pasta (see recipe below)
Fresh ground black pepper and salt as needed
- Prepare the Island Chimichurri Sauce and fresh scallion-garlic-thyme angel hair pasta as described below.
- Season scallops lightly on both sides with fresh ground black pepper and salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes until rich golden brown on each side and moist, yet cooked through in the center. Remove scallops from pan to avoid over cooking while plating.
- Mound the hot fresh scallion-garlic-thyme angel hair pasta in the center of two warm dinner plates.
- Place the 2 scallops atop of each portion of pasta and 3 scallops evenly spaced around each mound of pasta. Top each scallop with 2 tsp of Island Chimichurri Sauce and a sprinkling of the three color pepper confetti.
- We also serve this dish with fresh steamed asparagus and black bean and corn salsa placed between the three scallops that surround the mound of pasta.
Island Chimichurri Sauce
1 Tbsp - Olive oil, extra virgin
1 Tbsp - Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 Tbsp - Lime juice, fresh squeezed
½ tsp - Sugar
2 tsp - Garlic, fresh, minced
1 Tbsp - Each: fresh cilantro, parsley and scallions, finely chopped
Measure and combine all ingredients in a small glass bowl and set aside until serving.
Fresh Scallion-Garlic-Thyme Angel Hair Pasta
8 oz. wt. - Angel hair or cappellini pasta
1 Tbsp. - Salt
3 Tbsp. - Olive oil
1 Tbsp. - Garlic, fresh, minced
4 Tbsp. - Butter, cold cut into ¼" slices
3 Tbsp. - Scallion tops, 1/8" sliced
1 tsp. - Fresh thyme leaves
chopped Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place 1 gallon of hot water in a large 6 quart pot, add 1 Tbsp of salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, do not brown. Remove from heat and swirl in the butter until melted then mix in the scallions and thyme.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water per the instructions on the package. When cooked, drain thoroughly in a colander, then add to the scallion-garlic-thyme butter mixture and toss to coat. Cover to keep hot, then immediately proceed to the searing the scallops and serving steps above.