HOLIDAY PUMPKIN PIE WITH ISLAND FLAIR
* Note: This special island version of this traditional favorite was developed by Bahama Breeze chefs, but is NOT available in the restaurants
INGREDIENTS - CRUST
2 ½ cups of Graham cracker crumbs
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
5 oz. butter
Pam spray, as needed
INGREDIENTS - PIE
½ cup whole eggs
7 oz. light brown sugar
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon, ground
1 ¼ tsp ginger, ground powder
1/3 tsp cloves, ground
22 oz fresh pumpkin puree, peeled and boiled or steamed
(may substitute 22 oz canned pumpkin puree)
6 oz sour cream
1 ½ cups evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- To make crust, mix cracker crumbs and brown sugar in bowl. Melt butter and add to mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Spray 9" spring form pan with Pam spray.
- Place crumbs into pan. Press firmly against bottom and three-quarters of the way up the sides of pan.
- To prepare pie, place the eggs into a bowl and using a wire whip, beat the eggs lightly.
- Add light brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves to the beaten eggs. Use the wire whip and mix until all the ingredients are evenly blended and the eggs are foamy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the pumpkin puree and sour cream, and mix with the wire whip until everything is blended.
- Slowly add the evaporated milk while mixing with the wire whip.
- Pour filling mixture into the prepared Graham cracker crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 250ºF for two to three hours. Check by inserting a toothpick in center. When it comes out clean, the pie is done.
- Transfer pie to rack and cool.
Cinnamon Crème Anglaise
5 oz Vanilla Pudding powder
2 cups cold water
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup Amaretto
¾ tsp cinnamon, ground
- Place the Vanilla Pudding powder in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Pour water over the powder. Mix with a hand mixer on low speed for one minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer on high speed and mix for three more minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly pour in the cream and then the Amaretto and cinnamon, while constantly mixing. Mix until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Heat the Cinnamon Crème Anglaise in the microwave for 10 seconds. Pour it over the pie and top with a tower of whipped cream.